View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #49
JimCooper
Re: Viva la resistance!

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Recently I came to realize that the so-called "strong" attacks given by many people actually made it easier to move them around
And sometimes (only sometimes), that needs to be demonstrated to and experienced by people. So sometimes you want someone to attack you that way.I know that it points up weaknesses/errors in my own techniques.

Also, it can be a scary attack for a lot of people, so they tense up. Again, unless you train against it.

I wasn't suggesting doing that all the time, but every now and again I think it's fine. Various points you raised need to be pointed out at the time, of course.

Quote:
I'm not really interested in addressing the folks who don't attack even when they are "attacking". Yes, there are lots of them.
Getting them to change is far harder than getting people who are mistaking muscle power and tension for effective martial technique.
And they make practice pretty dull, IMO.

Quote:
This statement implies that this is a problem.
Actually, what I had in mind was that wrist grabs are mostly for learning basic technique.It seems to me, anyway. Grabs to the shoulder, lapel, centre etc are more difficult to deal with.

Quote:
The underlying tone here suggests that Aikido is supposed to be somehow "practical".
I think any MA should have an element of that to it, otherwise it's just dancing. It shouldn't be the only thing, though.

Quote:
The entire foundation of Aikido is based on not trying to use force against superior force.
And not just aikido. AFAICT all martial arts counsel against doing that.

Quote:
What is the lesson when you can let the biggest guy in the room grab your fingers as hard as he can and you can move him around at will?
You can do that - not everyone else can, because they haven't learned how to yet. Doesn't mean they shouldn't, does it?