View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Mariska Poiesz

Dojo: Aiki o Kami; Watersportbaan/Gusb
Belgium
Buying the first set of weapons

This year I'll be training to get my 5th kyu, so it's time for me to get serious about the weapon training. Thus I'll be getting my first set of weapons.

Innitially I just wanted to buy some from my sensei, where I can get them cheap but not of extreemly high quality.
But some of the other students think it's better to order 'the good stuff' right from the start. They orderd a red oak set which is of better quality but also more expensive.

I'm not sure which is the best idea. If I take a weapon set I want to be able to use it as long as possible, but without doing unnecessary damage to it.
From my experience with sail boats I know that it's better to let a beginner train with a cheeper boat, then letting them use a boat of a higher quality. Because they don't know the finer touches of sailing they will do unnecessary damage to the wood and rigging, which will shorten the amount of years that that boat can preform at it's best.
A beautiful boat should be treated correctly, and I feel that the same goes for weapons.
So what is the best choice?