Old 02-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #38
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Is aikido a budo?

Missed this last night.

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Dr David A. Hall has a decent entry on budo/bugei/bujutsu in his Encyclopedia of Japanese Martial Arts, but it is too lengthy for me type in here.
It's a good reference to read, though.

Quote:
The basic idea is that budo emerged in the Edo period and marked a shift in focus away from combative skills towards spiritual enlightenment/refinement as the goal of martial training. This is in line with how Draeger broke things down.
One interesting flaw that I've heard discussed about how Draeger broke things down is that he took it too literally (and analytically). In a certain sense, what we do on the mat is bujutsu, what we do in our lives and how that is affected by what we learn doing bujutsu, is budo.

Quote:
Dr. Hall cautions about the general Japanese tendency to use terms more elastically than we analytical Western types might prefer, though.
Of course, the problems in budo practices are not limited to non-Japanese. There are plenty of arts that are caricatures of budo practice in Japan as well as outside.

Quote:
So IMO, if Aikido is a practice that is available to all people to work on goals of spiritual development and refinement of themselves, then it is a very advanced form of budo indeed, and its martial efficacy doesn't really enter into this analysis. In fact, if the requirements of martial efficacy restrict the types of people who can participate, that makes it weaker as a budo, and Yamada has it backwards.
I think that spiritual development and self-refinement are much more limited when martial efficacy is sacrificed (especially when unintentional) as perceptions and analogies are misinformed by incorrect assumptions. It's kind of amusing but tiring to explain to a new student exposed to other lineages why atemi or effective attacks are not against the spirit of the art.

I don't believe that martial efficacy limits the availability of budo practice much, but it is a perception that, IMO is one of the first obstacles to be overcome. In that sense, I disagree with Yamada sensei's analysis, because I don't think the budo nature has to be sacrificed, but I do think that, in many cases, it is..

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."