View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: to ki or not to ki

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Hi Mary

Kenshiro Abbe Sensei introduced Aikido to the UK in 1955.
I recall that he only mentioned Ki once, I asked what is Ki ? - he replied " Not necessary speak of Ki, I teach it as part of each technique ".

After reading the other fred ( although it means I am old ) I feel so privileged that I studied with such great teachers that taught Aikido as a martial art. I was so fortunate that Ki was hardly ever referred to, there were no Aiki ribbons in sight - no breathing through ones toes, no woolly hats on the mat.no freezing of students - no floating with the nod of the head - no KI blasts, they were tough days - but they were great days.

Here is a quote from one of my teachers - Tadashi Abe Sensei, a student of Osensei from 1942.

"The Aikido I knew and learned with Osensei was Budo. Since my return to Japan, I realize that what we teach today has nothing to do with this martial art.

What remains of this art inherited from Samurai, which was formed by the founder for men. Today, it is a sport of women ! " Tadashi Abe Sensei

Henry Ellis
Co-author `Positive Aikido`
http://aikido-stories.blogspot.com/
Hi Henry:

I guess that means you are going with "not to ki" Good that Tadashi Abe Sensei had such foresight as to see what Aikido could become.

Mary

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan