Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #62
JasonDawe
Dojo: Fudoshin Akikai
Canada
Re: 5th kyu shihans

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Hey guys,

I need some advice. I am a woman training and i constantly come across these lower kyu men (usually just joined) who have absolutely NO idea as to what is going on. Of course they think they do AND not only do they complain about how I do the technique (i'm a second kyu), but they don't see what the instructor demonstrates AND they constantly try to tell me how to do the technique.

Today, we were SUPPOSED to do iriminage. These really large man, who is much stronger than I, did not follow properly (naturally didn't know how, because he just joined and is still learning) and complained about getting "clothes lined" and warned me not to do it again. I told him that he needed to learn how to follow. I'm not trying to hurt him, but he had to go with the movement. I asked him his level and told him mine. To which of course he said, so what...at that point, I was just about to walk away from him, when the sensei changed the technique and we had to change partners. I really wanted to drop him, but naturally that is not the proper thing to do.

It's really working my nerves. Do you guys have any advice on how to deal with these people?
As a 6'4, 270 lb man, I can see the issue personally. I am not the best Uke for straight technique, but what generally happens is that I cause some variation and those that train with me do learn to deal with my size.

My difference is that I have no pride when I step on the mat and give myself for training 100%. If something hurt me, I talk about it to see if it was something I did or they did to compensate.

At the end of the class, we're all friends and have learned lots.

Male Ego is easily injured and you either get through it or it becomes something that stops you in life.

Give the good old soul a dandy Nikkyo - I find shorter people really put that on well and there is no explanations for clotheslines and other things. You just have to learn to accept the technique and tap.