View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Tadashi Abe

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
lol Thank you Ellis sensei. These are such interesting facts, the generation of aikidoka that started in the 40's had such unique circumstances they had to deal with (post war japan, the introduction of aikido to the masses, O-Sensei's evolution of aikido etc.). Their lives at that time are truly interesting, perhaps their struggles and conflicts were reflected in their Aikido and training.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamie

As a child during the war, I remember the poor families pooling their meager food rations to hold street parties for the returning prisoners of war, the prisoners of the Germans were treated far better than those that were prisoners of the Japanese, there were some awful sights to behold. In the UK food rationing continued until 1957. In the 1950s the war was fresh in everyones mind, with rationing and bomb sites everywhere. In the 1950s I was treated with anger and hostilty by the people I knew for being associated with a "" Japanese "" martial art. I wanted to tell everyone of the amazing technique of Abbe Sensei, I remember being threatened for even discussing my interests.

So, imagine how difficult it was for the likes of Kenshiro Abbe Sensei and Tadashi Abbe Sensei to come to Europe at such a time.

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/