Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #55
Alvin H. Nagasawa
Dojo: YBA/HBAC Honolulu, HI
United_States
Re: Learning How to Learn Aikido

Quote:
Alvin Nagasawa wrote:
Re: Learning, How to Learn Aikido

It is a interesting topic up for discussion, One which is the responsibility of the individual teaching the class. I have read all the posting on this subject, and the range of Personality, Professional level, MA background, everyone having there individual prospective on the subject. This is what a Instructor has to deal with in teaching any form of MA. Especially to a beginner entering your class, I would always ask the student why are you interested in Aikido?. Have you previous MA background?. I first ask them to observe the class and then make up there minds if the wish to join the Club. "Enter the dojo with and empty cup", Not a filled one.

Once the are a member of the club, they must understand the dojo rule,etiquette,and etc.
And have a qualified assistant to coach the beginner on the exercises, how to tumble is the most difficult obstacle for a beginner to over come in Aikido.. Before he or she can participate in the regular class, is important safety factor. A injured student will miss or sit out several months of class if they get injured. And it is the responsibility of the instructor to insure that everyone under his direction is training safely and understand what is taught in the class. Before moving on to another technique or waza, It is important that the lowest Kyu rank or Beginner understand and can execute, what was taught. And to have a one to one contact with all the students, to feel the flow, and execution of the technique. And not to hurt the student in the process, You have to remember."We, all we beginners once ". I hope you wish to be treated with same respect and have that individual continue his journey in Aikido."Respect others and they will respect you in return". Compassion, is a learning process and I am still seeking that path. One has to look at one's self before judging others.

The above is my opinion. I can say this in closing, each situation is different. We will always run into obstacles in our lives, it's how we contend with it. That is the important decision, one has to make on his own.
In addition to my option, You get what you paid for. You have the option to stay or move on. But I believe it is the the instructor of the class or Dojo Cho. To respect each individual that is interested in the MA. And to treat he or she fairly.

Lone Wolf of San Jose