View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 12:23 AM   #7
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States
Re: No one takes me seriously

Quote:
All my life i have been a big joker. i am always joking around and having my sensei(s) on. They dont mind me joking around and usually they will joke around as well. But when ever i try to be serious or make suggestions they just think im joking or they dont actually take me seriously...they brush off my suggestions as me just being silly or they dont really listen to me.
Talk to your sensei and dojo mates about it. Explain that you've gotten yourself into a trap of not being taken seriously when things come up that are important to you. Your dojo mates may well appreciate being able to know when you're putting them on vs. trying to address something important.

Also, think about the affect your joking may have on others. Would a boyfriend or husband, family, dojo mates be happy in the long run with someone that's constantly reaching for the laugh track? That anytime they brought up something dear to their heart that you turned it into joke? Humor is important part of our lives but is not life itself.

I would not stop the jokes cold turkey but rather work on awareness -- particularly of those times you do want to bring up a joke. Step back and think for a moment on why and if there's another way to be part of a conversation without injecting a joke.