Thread: The Way of Aiki
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #54
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: The Way of Aiki

The aiki that made Sokaku and Morihei powerful, is a product of very specific physical creation. It is demonstrable and teachable; however, it is not one simple "thing," but a sophisticated combination of physical actions and mental processes. That's why people who practice this body method are so reticent to lay it out on an internet forum. It's a lot of work.

The one open source I can think of for understanding aiki, is the collected works of Sam F.S. Chin, current headmaster of an internal martial art called I Liq Chuan. Although this is a Chinese art, and the term "aiki" is thus not used, it -is- aiki and internal power in pure form, and, IMO, more sophisticated in its applications than in any internal system, Japanese or Chinese, that I have ever seen or experienced.

If anyone here is truly, deeply interested in what aiki is, your best bet is to look up I Liq Chuan and maybe order a copy of Mr. Chin's book and some of his DVDs that cover the foundational work for developing internal power and aiki.