View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #93
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Dance, Wrist Locks & Sub-Teens

Quote:
Thomas Donelson wrote: View Post
Did you have a reference for studies showing that straight line stresses from a gooseneck wrist-lock, in swinging with a partner causes injury?

The stresses in restraining a youngster are different from utilizing a wrist grab, allowing the partner room for movement, for discharging anger, and tiring out a bully.

People have posted exaggerated fears, with no studies or analysis of the techniques I am suggsting. I have searched for studies on the possibilities of injury, and find nothing persuasive.

Nothing of substance is being posted, about the risk of injury, but paranoid opinions, so you are correct, that I am unpersuaded. I hear some people expressing imagined fears. I suggest bravery, to achieve peace and harmony.

Dear Mr. Donelson:

I stopped teaching all joint locking techniques to children over a decade ago, after reading a series of studies on repetitive stress injuries to bone growth plates on boys who were pitchers in Little League baseball. Since that time, I have consistently argued against teaching children joint locking techniques for this reason alone -- even without the additional problems of natural error or malice exacerbating the inescapable risks attendant to repeatedly exposing growing bones to stresses of this kind.

Your clear aversion to competent guidance from experienced individuals makes injury in practice a near certainty, as does your misguided faith in the utility of wrist locks as a conflict resolution device.

You are free to ignore my advice as you have everyone else's. I'm just a member of the faculty of the Physical Education Department at the New Jersey Institute of Technology whose normal reticence to appear in court for any reason is quickly giving way to astonishment at your metacognitive failure and the risks it poses to unsuspecting children.

I should also note in passing that in some parts of North Jersey, the word "dance" has connotations that are not friendly, peaceful, non-violent, or aimed at a reasonable form of conflict resolution. In some respects, I think that's oddly appropriate, precisely because you're not friendly, peaceful, non-violent, or looking for a mutually respectful dialogue.

So let's not dance.

FL