Thread: Shinto
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 09:35 AM   #12
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Like the topic & the replies, but have to take issue with one phrase used so far:

Ian's "in fact I wouldn't allow people to train who did not bow since I would believe they were not willing to protect those they train with" did leave me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth I'm afraid (no offense meant, agreed with most of the post) as we'd had a bad experience of this being put into practice.

We had a occasional member of our dojo who was a practicing orthodox jew. He was occasional as he was based elsewhere and could only get to our dojo on an irregular basis. However, as he was worried about the "religious" aspects of the dojo, he'd asked his religious teacher and was informed that such bowing was contrary to his religion. His normal dojo couldn't accept his not bowing and did use pressure to make him conform. Result, both dojos lost a very promising aikidoka (and caused a nice guy an unnecessary soul-search).

Basically, I think the answer is we're supposedly adults and able to make informed decisions. If religion/spirituality works for you, fine, but the idea that a dojo would or should impose "religion" in the name of "tradition" (how old's aikido again..) seems absurd and not-so-slightly worrying.