Thread: Switching Arts
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Switching Arts

Quote:
Stephen Sheasby wrote: View Post
1. I am committed to my current students. Fortunately my senior students understand the current situation and are in agreement with this upcoming change. However, they do not want to move to a new dojo, the closest one is 45 minutes away from our current location, and if possible they would like to train under my guidance. Considering my years in Ju Jitsu what is the likelihood of opening a satellite dojo? I guess that would be up to each sensei but is it even a practice that is done? My guess would be that I would need to spend an amount of one on one training with the sensei that may take me and my small group of practitioner under his/her wing and tutelage.
I've never heard of anyone operating a "satellite dojo" or affiliate dojo with no prior experience. For someone to operate under the aegis of another teacher, they'd certainly want to feel confident that their representative could teach what they want taught, the way that they want it taught -- they're representing the brand, so to speak. It seems to me that a would-be teacher would need to get some mileage and establish a strong relationship with a teacher before the teacher would extend that level of trust.

Quote:
Stephen Sheasby wrote: View Post
2. I have read about a few different styles (the ones I am aware of are Aikikai, Aikido Schools of Ueshiba, Yoshinkan, Ki Society). Who should I approach and why?
I don't think there's much point in considering styles in the abstract. If you're into martial arts it can be fun, but I don't think it helps you to make a decision. Find out what is being taught in the area where you're willing to travel to train, visit the dojos, see what they're actually doing, and decide where you want to train.