Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #46
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Is Aikido Non-Violent?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Dan wrote:

And thus is the purpose of Budo. I think this is the bottomline of all we can really do in the end. The outcome, you cannot predict, but it really doesn't matter as long as you did what you did without emotion, excess, and you do it for the right reasons.

I think it is dangerous going into any situations with a so-called "ethical Aiki way" that dictates a right and wrong way to do things and states that you failed if you did not peacefully resolve things. I think in many cases this process is out of our hands and we must allow ourselves to be free of such notions.

We do what we can do to prepare to have a clear mind and be prepared to do what we can do...outside of that we have to be willing to go the distance if need be.
Kevin:

Hope Germany is treating you well. Your position is entirely realistic. It is so easy to wax and wane poetically about issues regarding peace, violence, non-violence.... particularly from the comforts of a safe place without imminent danger. Our training is to be in the moment with a clear mind, prepared to do what we need to do to come home to our loved ones. We don't go into these situations with violence in our hearts or intent. Preserving peace and our ability to live within that realm can sometimes entail doing what is necessary in that moment. Walking into a conflict with some preconceived notion of our philosophical intents is not being in the moment, which can easily lead to bad outcomes.

Happy Thanksgiving, and I look forward to visiting you in the spring.

Marc Abrams