View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: striking in Aikido

Quote:
That said - I disagree that shomen with a sword should go to the floor - any time we've been training suburi with bokken there has been severe criticism when the tip of the blade went below the level of the handle - the wrists lose their integrity. Yes, you want to cut/punch/whatever through the target, but not in such a way that you lose control of your cut/thrust..
Thank you Walter ... this makes sense to me.

Quote:
Pointy end goes in the other guy...not in the wall next to him, not in the floor. Always, in the other guy. If its not in him, it should be between you and him. Otherwise...why use a sword?
Yes that I kinda understand. makes perfect sense.... but say pointy end indeed goes in the other guy... then through the other guy... then comes out the other side... then what? Hmm?

I mean if this were never the case there would be no such qualifications as a 5 body katana.

If I were ... and trust me I have no illusions or fantasies that I ever want or will be....in an actual fight and wielding a katana would I realistically stop at eye level or would I do my darnedest to cleave the guy in two?