Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Going to Japan

Quote:
Jamie Kenyon wrote: View Post
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, how would be the best way to get to japan. obviously by aeroplane!How does the JET programme work? Can you just get a cheap flight over? I was only planning to go for a month?

Many thanks

Jamie
Hi Jamie,
My wife was in the JET programme as was her sister and they suggest going to the web site to apply. I know they require a 4-year degree, but I'm sure they will pay for you flight if you're accepted. They may have changed the system a bit for all I know, but I'm pretty sure they have 1-year minimum stays. I know most folks who do the JET programme have a fantastic experience, but as Prof. Goldsbury said, you don't really have a choice on where they place you. I'm sure with less Japanese speaking ability a person is more likely to be placed in a larger population center...my wife went over with minimal speaking ability and was placed in Himeji-shi (where I was fortunate enough to mooch off her for 3 months at a time...another option if you can find someone already over there).
I'm not sure about other English programs though...I've heard some have gone out of business, but I know a guy who just started his own very small school, so maybe with a bit of research you can find what you're looking for.
Good luck!
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 07-05-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Gambarimashyo!