View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #133
CindyGoldman
Re: Why so many Haters of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido?

I just want to express my views after reading the various comments below.

1) Firstly Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido refers to the teaching of Aikido developed by Sensei Tohei and commonly referred to in the West as Ki Aikido. However there are numerous schools out there that teach "Ki Aikido" with different emphasis and priorities. Thus I have met students out there that are literally practicing a different form of aikido albeit they refer to it as "Ki Aikido".

2) The Ki principles from Sensei Tohei are extremely effective in a martial sense. However it is one of those things that has to be mastered - it's a case of all or nothing. Therefore beginners in the art sometimes struggle to extend Ki correctly and thus their martial technique may seem ineffective. Furthermore Ki principles can be separated from the martial Ki techniques taught. You can apply Ki principles to various martial techniques, Krav Maga, Jujitsu, etc. (See Shin Shin Toitsu & Golf).

3) In a real street fight your state of mind is generally more important than the perfection of a martial technique. Ki principles place a lot of emphasis upon meditation and oneness with the universe, similar to the idea of “no mind” and totally present. This state of mind is very important when faced with a life or death or high stake situation, e.g. fighting, financial trading, rock climbing, etc. I have seen a lot of so-called martial arts experts on the streets forgetting the rule that generally the first attack normally comes from an unseen opponent from behind.

4) I believe most aikido techniques practiced in the dojo are merely ideal forms and have to be adapted in a real street fight. For example consider the classic nage knife thrust attack, nage always lunges forward with the knife hand first. From my own experience on the streets I typically find that an attacker with just a little experience but real intent of stabbing you will try to attack you first with the empty hand to grab hold of you. However unless your speed and technique is perfect which is very difficult in real life, whilst you are focused on their empty hand, in less than half a second they could be thrusting the knife in to your kidney with the other hand.

Last edited by CindyGoldman : 03-06-2014 at 08:21 AM.