View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #31
DH
United_States
Re: Daito Ryu's Aiki

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Oooh! Can I bring popcorn and a digital camcorder? Cause it's never valid unless it's on YouTube. Maybe we can have a seminar, because it's never valid unless the really good people are out doing seminars. But, oh, wait! I forgot! (slaps head like the V-8 Commercials). They are already doing this stuff.

(For those who have Emotopixelations Disease, what I wrote above is heavily dripping in sarcasm)

Mark
Interestingly a camcorder hasn't been needed yet. I have a basic trust in the nature of most budo guys. While I think they are indeed a weird bunch; usually (not always) when you tune-em, they admit it. Of course it helps to have about ten people in the room watching.
As for you tube and all the nonsense of demanding video? It serves no real value to help someone get it. Hands on, and at home training is the only way.
I think Williams comment about seminars is somewhat valid except that he doesn't acknowledge that I am doing so on a somewhat regular basis these days aren't I? And that-for free! I see no reason that I am to be compelled to some standard set by others, disrupting my own life for the -benefit- of others. I do what I can and I think I am making a small contribution as I am able.
These are interesting times in that folks are traveling, sometimes from me to Ark, or from Mike to me, and training with all three repeatedly to compare notes, Even considering that the material covered is usually just basics, they are getting hands on and feeling power, sensitivity and sometimes practical delivery from all of us and comparing notes on movement, things taught. That they are willing to take it home and really work things through says allot I think. No doubt some will settle for a method that suits them. Once folks move along and improve their observational skills will improve and so will their judgements about various guys and their method of teaching. Of course that will be augmented by who will do the actual work at home to progress.
Suffice to say the skills are there, and I would encourage folks-as I always have- to go meet and test everyone and do your own research. Its your life and your training. Don't rob yourself.

As for William's teachers and Mike Haft on the other thread already doing these things or knowing folks who do-you guys will find out in the end. I maintain it is rare, and few have any real skills. One thing is for sure. Anyone who has it who is in a public arena or some sort, should be known for it. They should stand-out instantly. They would be noted for it somehow in some venue or another outside of waza. Why? Its not natural and most (no, not all) will not confuse your power with natural strength and waza.
In arts like Aikido it should be all the more prevalent, as you would not be able to be thrown or locked unless you chose to allow it. You would most likely have to shut-off, and anyone would have a terribly difficult time handling you on any basis.