View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Thomas Ambrose

United_States
Are you eyes open during rolling?

While this may be a naive beginners' observation as I have only been learrning Aikido for 9 months, give or take , but I am curious about something...

During some ukemi practice at the beginning of class the other day, I realized something that surprised me. In the middle of a forward roll, I noticed everything moving...

To my surprise, I realized that I keep my eyes wide open when rolling. This surprised me, because I was was a serious competitive swimmer up until I went to college. While swimming, you often do a "somersault" flip at the end of each lap to turn around. Different in form than forward ukemi, but a rolling motion still. I would ALWAYS close my eyes right before going into a flip turn, and rely on timing and speed to land at the appropriate spot on the wall for a solid push-off. I am not sure if it was a fear of hitting the wall, or a desire not to get dizzy. At any rate, closing my eyes was how I used to do my "rolling" before I started Aikido.

Now, 8 years later, and on the mat rather than in the pool, I have noticed just now that my eyes are open when I roll, and I can sort of see the motion as I do it. This surprised me because it differs from all of my past experience, and is not done on purpose. I suppose it makes sense because when you come out of the roll, you will have a quicker awareness of what is in front of you than otherwise.

Anyway, I am curious about what others have noticed about themselves? Do you roll with your eyes open, and if so, when did you first notice? Just a curiosity from an inquisitive rookie