View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: What enlightened beings were known as GREAT martial artists

Quote:
Frederick Merrick wrote: View Post
Today it is seeming that there is these discussions about building the body to be greatest Aiki body. However the Aikido is known as a spiritual art leading to enlightenment. O Sensei talking about the chinkon kishin, and the purifying with the misogi. More that Aikido is Misogi.
Misogi and chinkon kishin are intimately connected with building an Aiki body - had anybody said differently?

Quote:
Frederick Merrick wrote: View Post
When I think of the Buddha or Jesus, Gandhi and the other great spiritual leaders, I don't see the great martial artists brandishing great aiki body. When I think of all the great martial artists of the aiki body, who can we say is the leader of a spiritual art. I only know the O sensei. Was there others, too?

So question really becomes

Can it be that the perfecting of great waza is mere but a ruse, a stepping stone to the abandonment of waza altogether as a method of spiritual enlightenment? Didn't there be many great masters that decide, "well now it is time for the mastering the Cha-do, Ikebana-do and Shodo?

is anyone on the aikiweb thinking like this way, too?
Did Morihei Ueshiba abandon martial training for tea and calligraphy, or was he still training at the end?

Best,

Chris