View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #17
Voitokas

United_States
Re: Need some advice/ insight on Commitment

I'm with you there on the playing music! I'm usually on the computer when I should be practising my instrument, too.... Well, maybe Joe's right that if you're able to reach the tangible goal of a rank, that success will help you want to reach other goals. But if Clark's right about it being motivational, maybe that black belt would be the laurel you could unfortunately be happy to rest on.

Quote:
It does bother me that I can seem to stick to something, but it bothers me even more when others remind me of it, so to me the black belt might take care of both.
"Stick with" and "stick with until" are different things. I should think that it would show more commitment to go to aikido (or yoga, or whatever you commit to) three nights a week if you weren't focused on an endpoint.
This might just be for me, but I find that if am doing something (like aikido, or a research project), and I really put myself into it in all earnestness, that I want to do it all the time. And if I am doing something (like playing the fiddle, or remodeling a spare room) that I don't throw myself into, I want to do it less and less, and it eventually doesn't happen. So, for someone like me anyway, it would be more important to choose the activity that I could more honestly and happily commit to than to choose the one that had the rank I could achieve soonest.
I hope you can find the thing that makes you happiest!

I am not an expert