View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Difference between styles

Quote:
Timothy Walters Kleinert wrote: View Post
IME, Aikikai prefers same side stances (tori faces off with right foot & uke left foot) while Yoshinkan prefers same foot stances (both tori and uke face off with right foot). This, I think, is a more profound difference than it sounds. It causes you to make certain choices in movement.
Interesting...my experience in Yoshinkan is over 10 years. I see both aihamne and gyakuhamne stances practiced. For most waza, especially the 150 basic waza. Can you reference specific sources?

Quote:
Re: Daito-ryu and jujutsu---My experience with Daito-ryu leads me to believe that Yoshinkan *isn't* any closer to Daito-ryu than Aikikai.
Interesting again. I am fairly familiar with the Main line of Daito ryu under Kondo Sensei. And have some minor exposure to some other varients, some quite different from the Main line. In my experience the Main Line has a lot of similiarities to the Yoshinkan training. I believe I has been specific on that in other posts. I'll try to locate the post.

Of course, if your exerience with Daito ryu is Kodo kai, Takumakai, or Roppokai, I have not trained much if at all in those branches, so that might explain the divergence in opinion.

Quote:
I've encountered a number of people who have ideas about Daito-ryu or "old school aiki-jujutsu" that just aren't true about Daito-ryu.
Me too!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)