Thread: Aikido Origins
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2003, 04:23 PM   #38
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Tomiki's motivations:

Quote:
Mark Nicoll wrote:
I think that maybe you misunderstood my comment, or maybe I didn't get my point of view across correctly.

By the term "bad apple" I meant it for the minority of people that want to learn a martial art for no other reason than the 'dark side'. I am talking about the highly volatile and agressive people, that would do nothing other than harm, within a dojo. The bullies of this world to stereotype but one group.
Maybe I did misunderstand you then. The way I read it, the 'bad apples' were people with some interest in shiai. (ie: me and many of my pals! )

If you're talking about highly volatile and agressive people, I can't imagine any such people being interested in aikido anyway. From their point of view aikido (even as practiced by we aiki-thugs ) is boooooring!
Quote:
Mark Nicoll wrote:
In defence of this statement, our dojo in Macclesfield is one of friendship, comradship & uttermost respect, as I think all dojo's should be. We welcome all through our doors and I have heard of none being turned away.
I'm glad to hear that, but I'm confused. If you've never had to turn anyone away, how come you feel its a responsibility to "oust" the "bad apples" from the dojo. Where I train its the instructors responsibility to scare away baby elephants who might hide under the sink. (We've never had a baby elephant come in the door yet, but the day one does it wont be allowed to hide under the sink, no way!)
Quote:
Mark Nicoll wrote:
As I said, it is the minority. The 1% that shouldn't be given the privelage to learn such a fine and deadly art.
Some (though not necessarily me) might say that its that 1% who would benefit most from training in the "way of harmony".
Quote:
Dave Miller wrote:
You shodokan guys might have a better grasp of the historical material I am trying to relay. Do I have most of the basic facts correct?
I'm pretty sure you're bang on, Dave. (Though Peter R. is much better informed about these things than I.)

For anyone who's interested, theres some info about this historical stuff here on the Shodokan honbu website.

Regards

Sean "Bad Apple" Orchard

(I still like that.)