Thread: 5th kyu shihans
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #17
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: 5th kyu shihans

You are his senior. Therefore it is up to you to adjust down to his level and prevent him from hurting himself while he learns how to take proper ukemi. If this keeps happening ask your sensei to show you what you can do in order to improve matters. In the process sensei will most likely use him to demonstrate to you. If this guys ukemi needs adjusting your sensei will be the one best suited to tell him so.

If I have a guy like this below my rank I adjust down and do the above. Usually I find out it is indeed myself that requires an adjustment. Not my junior. If the guy is my rank or above I might cut him some slack at first but once we have worked together a while if the attitude continues I just throw him hard a few times. (or in the case of one fellow, just scare the (*&^@ out of him with a bokken) Or I get my sensei to work with them, again by asking for help with MY problem. They usually get the point.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just nod and smile and say thank you and just keep training.

There have been a few guys in my dojo that I at first wanted to avoid training with over such issues. Now those same ones are the ones I grab first because they challenge me and I learn more from them. Avoiding training with someone who is difficult is not a solution unless he poses a real threat to your safety.

Last edited by Shadowfax : 01-21-2011 at 02:37 PM.