View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
JW

Re: Ueno Chimp Rolls

This is interesting especially from the point of view of "Aikidoka have simply been taught wrong." My initial thought was that our rolls are designed to spread the impulse of the landing across a large time window and large area across the back-- thus the diagonal I was taught was from shoulder to opposite hip, point-of-contact making a pretty straight diagonal, and spreading the impact evenly through that diagonal.
So, if the point of contact dwells in the shoulder region (like in a "barrel-roll" like the one that broke my friend's collar-bone-- there, the point-of-contact does not make it all the way down the back, so all the impulse is delivered in the upper back/shoulder area) it is bad for the shoulder region.
Conversely-- if the point of contact dwells too long in the lower back area, wouldn't that be dangerous for the hips?

The video guys and Ellis Amdur are supporting the idea of impulse being delivered more heavily to the lower back I think, because it sounds like the point-of-contact would spend more time there:
Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Therefore, one rolls from shoulder blade across in a shallower diagonal thru small of back.
(I'm still confused because my aikido-roll description fits the description of a shallow diagonal. The difference is my diagonal would go through the midline a little higher on the back than the lumbar, I think... I'll have to try it out later)

So, if more impulse is delivered in the lower back, why is it not bad for the lower back? (Because the pelvis is sturdy, unlike the shoulder area?)
--Jonathan Wong