View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States
Re: Men and Women Training Together

First of all, pairing midschool aged kids together in a coed physical situation is not really condusive to learning. Too many hormones running around!

However I do completely agree with Emily and Mike on this one! We are not there to be "hot" (totally sexist remark BTW) but to learn how to defend ourselves against people that are out to physically attack us. If we don't train against the attack, then we become victims. THAT is why we train.

Are you the Uke for each one of those girls you teach in middle school? No? Then how are they going to know what to do if an adult male attacks them?

I am the only adult female in my dojo, I have a teenage girl that works out with us as well. Her father, who is often my Uke, makes sure that she works in with the big guys so that she knows what it will feel like if she is attacked on the street, and what her reaction would be. THAT is why we train.

I do understand that there is, perhaps, a different social climate in Korea then here in the US and if I were to move to Korea, I would be respectful and not expect men to train with me, since that seems to be their custom. However, here in the US, it is quite a different story!