View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #17
DonMagee
United_States
Re: No Sankyo

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
Don,
Anyway, a lock for purposes of moving a subject is not about pain or power. It's simply a way to move the person on the same weak lines one would use if one were doing any other technique. for instance I can do a Sankyo on you that wouldn't hurt much, if at all, but it will move you quite nicely through space because it uses the ikkyo curve that all the other techniques run on. You can look at Sankyo as simply a way to move the entire shoulder line through space on the ikkyo curve. Then strength or pain resistance doesn't enter into it.
I would be interested in playing with such a lock. I've found that tipically without pain I can use speed and agility to acheive better or sometimes superior positioning. With pain response I tend to be more 'willing' to come along. When a Sankyo is done to me, the pain response causes me (no matter how hard I try not too) to come up on my toes. This is the major unbalancing I feel. When I do not feel the pain (such as the person has not moved their hips to sufficently cause pain) then I simply can move faster with the lock, create space, and remove my hand while punching the back of their head. Unfortuantly for me, I almost always feel a lot of pain with wrist locks. My wrists ache for days sometimes with even the slightest tweaking. I think it comes from 8+ hours a day programing.

I would think that such a painless Sankyo would have to be very quickly transitioned and would require your attacker to be unable to adapt faster then you could transition to something else (I'm assuming a throw). This would make a Sankyo no different then any other proper push/pull or a judo unbalancing with the exception of that you are holding the wrist/hand. For example, in judo it is obvious to twist or push a perosn in a direction in which their balance is weak. And if you are faster then your opponent then this in itself is enough to defeat him. However if your opponent is faster then you, he can recover quickly and sometimes even use your advance as an opening for his own technique.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein