View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 02:14 AM   #64
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Ahmed Altalib wrote:
Thank to all of those who contributed to this discussion specially those who answered my question and mentioned some Aikido techniques - Mary Turner, Nafis Zahir and Xu Wenfung.
First off, I believe Xu mentioned aikido techniques WITH a weapon.

Quote:
Ahmed Altalib wrote:
Frankly these answers (specially coming from Aikidoka's) concern me because it reflects mental desperation and panic when it comes to BJJ as for the first two (weapons and gouging eyes) I think resorting to either one defeats the whole purpose of Aikido if applied by an Aikidoka since Aikido is mainly about redirecting one's energy = having control of the situation.
How does the use of a weapon reflect mental desperation and panic?

If we're talking self-defense or combat, I'd say it is much more intelligent than bludgeoning someone with your hands. This is not a knock on combat sports; I enjoy them quite a bit.

Aikido has an intimate connection to weapons. Jujutsu developed around weapons to support their use and disarm people if you lose yours. The Gracies developed some of these techniques into a fine form of submission wrestling and ground fighting, but it is not the most sensible way to fight empty-handed. Watch modern MMA. See how their strategies nullify most BJJ techniques and double leg takedowns to a very high percentage.

What about aikido techniques, including the attacks?
Why the focus on controlling the wrist and arm?
Why the lack of "takedowns" and "takedown defense"?
What happens if you shoot for a double leg on someone armed with a knife or sword?

Just some food for thought.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki