View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #67
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: Training in other schools of aikido

Quote:
Actually Jean, I was not one of the people blaming the victim in the pizza parlor attack (although he did some stupid stuff leading up to it) and It's quite interesting how easily your feathers get ruffled over a simple question....
As far as I can recall, I wasn't upset about any questions...I guess we see ourselves in others

As far as you not being on the other thread...my mistake. The passive-aggressive attacks and appeals to attack (exampled in the following quote) threw me off.

Quote:
It is apparent that you havent been studying Aikido that long and simply blabber Hagakure B.S. like Kane on Kung-Fu. Keep training my friend, it helps wear the edges off...
Yeah, I've only been training for a few yrs. Interestingly enough, the more I train the more rigid my views become. However, the more I train, the less I care about the weaknesses of others--I'm sure it seems like people become less edgy toward you the more they train

Ron,

For myself, I see the code being very valuable. That the book was associated with militarism by no means devalues it any more than fascism devalues patriotism--in their proper context, they're valuable.

I suppose that for many, Kamikaze pilots wouldn't be a role model. But, I would think you accept Samurai as role models. What's the difference between a soldier who's willing to give his life for his country (the pilots) and a soldier who's willing to give his life for his country (the samurai)?

Now, your positions are typical. Shioda Sensei, in Aikido Shugyo, said that people didn't really practice (something to the effect 'today, people's Aikido is just shells'). Jigoro Kano, said that the Judo that had developed "wasn't my Judo."

I don't think either were referring to the art itself, but the average practitioner.

I also like what Tohei said about people in his book "Ki in Everyday Life." He rips on the American Soldiers for "Death Marches" (he attributes it to American weakness). Then he rips into the Japanese for something.

The point: people are naturally weak--mentally, emotionally and physically. Left to their own devices they'll come up with what ever they can to take the path of least resistance.

To me, your positions are just an example of people taking the low road because it's easier to walk down than to climb up.