View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #48
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: real world aikido

Ahhh yes. The exuberance of youth combined with ignorance reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Philip Caputo's Book "A Rumor of War." My memory's fuzzy but he was the Platoon Leader on an OP when he saw his privates do some very nasty things and after he expressed his shock to his Gunny.. the Gunny said something to the effect of "Sir, One of the most dangerous and horrible things in this world is your average 19 year American Boy." (Those who are better read than I can feel free to correct me )

I am glad I survived my "life experiance" and I pray those in harms way survive thier "life experiances"

Please don't take this the wrong way folks as don't mean this to be snobbish or rude but Aikido is one of the few Modern Martial Ways I can keep from being turned into a Monster.

It was this mindset that kept me from jaunting off to War as a PSD dispite many opportunities from old Ranger Buddies to do so.

Sadly over the course of the last few years I have lost many old Ranger Buddies because of my Aikido inspired point of view.

WIlliam Hazen