View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 03:28 AM   #19
Johan Nielsen
Faroe Islands
Re: How do you keep your cool?

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:

But you gotta realize, I'd go to put him in kotegaishi or something and I'd take his arm, but the rest of him was left a mile behind and planted like he was bolted to the floor! He would not stay connected and would not MOVE!

Hello everyone,

First I must say that this experience you had with the aikido kotegaeshi is a great illustration of the biggest problem with this technique. Don't focus on his arm. That is irrelevant. Focus on how you can move and unbalance his body instead. There is no need to show him how atemi could be made. That is just a way to "cheat" in making him to realize that he could suffer a blow and therefore performing the technique for you. You on the other hand should also be aware of the possility that he could easily strike you when he is in perfect balance and right in front of you. Maybe that is not in the aikido training, but in a real self defence situation you can't count on a common aikido reaction, but a "normal" reaction from someone who has not done aikido.

Second I think that it is you who have a problem with the kid and not the other way around. You think that because you are older and bigger he should be somewhat intimidated by you. Big mistake from your side. If he dosen't care about your size he really has the right attitude and focus in the dojo. Think about that. And furthermore you really shouldn't lose your temper fore a variety of reasons. It seems that it is you who is the impatient "kid" in this matter. But reflect on how you should cope with your aggressions instead. Maybe it is a better way to meet his "hard" with your "soft". Don't clash hard against hard. Then it is a matter of strength and that is not in line with aikido right? I think that you must figure out for yourself in what way you can do so most easily.
Good luck!