View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #634
MM
United_States
Re: Is It Missing In Everybody's Aikido?

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
Hi Rob,
Very interesting. Your descriptions were cool. Can I ask about it?

Do you think that big part of the aiki is literally a pressure manipulation in the body's hydraulic system (i.e. liquid pressure in muscles & tissues)? (I assume that ground path is the major conduit of force, driven by hara). How can nage protect (hide?) his own hara even while simultaneously driving the motion from there?
I think you have a very complex system in the human body. So complex that brilliant physicists can't explain with equations some fundamental movements of our bodies. So complex that brilliant engineers can't create equations to make robots move and resort to non-human equations.

I think that if you want to dabble for fun and create simple physics analogies, then have a blast. If you're an engineer and want to dabble for fun and create simple systems, then have a blast.

I think the major disconnect is if you're not able to physically manifest these skills and you're trying to use physics and engineering to define them. It isn't like non-human physics where equations can define interactions and produce outcomes. It isn't like non-human systems where engineers can define pressures and build systems to hold them.

These are human systems that even the world's most brilliant physicists and robotic engineers can't create equations to define, model, or create systems to replicate human interactions for internal structure skills.

There is a reason that a lot of people say, "How the *&^% are you doing that?" or "What the *&^% was that?" when they get hands on experience.

So, when you or others talk about hydraulics, vectors, shear, etc, you get either silence or replies like mine here. You won't get anywhere talking physics or engineering when working on these skills.

You *will* get somewhere if you're talking physics and engineering *and* you're working on basic jujutsu applications. Sort of like taping two pencils together and pushing them toward each other so that the force coming through from one hand or the other causes the taped point to shift off the line. But, that's just like two people holding out a hand palm up and pushing into each other's palm. And having them push hard while a third person uses their pinky to push 90 degrees to their connected palms. It doesn't take much force to move them. But, again, that's basic level jujutsu theory, not internal structure or aiki.

You want to work on basic jujutsu, sure, theories of levers will help. It's what you're doing with arm bars or joint locks. Using the limbs as levers and fulcrums to get some change in the person's torso. Using the above example to move something while using less force or energy. Pivoting a person as you get them to weight themselves all on one side. Don't get me wrong, there's some good stuff there. Really good stuff. You can be soft, fluid, relaxed and manipulate someone who is bigger and stronger.

but it ain't aiki.