Old 09-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #86
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
PS A funny story about alcohol and training

Quote:
Jim Baker wrote: View Post
This doesn't include alcohol.

Jim Baker
This reminds me of a funny story involving MA (not aikido) training and alcohol...almost a cautionary tale.

A few years' (mid-90's) ago I trained in both Capoeira and aikido. One night I taught an aikido class (as a sub: not the normal teacher). Still feeling a little spry: I decided to rush over a few blocks to the Capoeira class. Two of the new students in the aikido class decided to tag along, to watch.

This time, however, our Mestre introduced a "new element" to training: a bottle of rum, which he made us all drink. I assumed that it had something to do with a sort of "goodbye-toast" to the buidling, as we were moving out, soon (what I SHOULD have done was pay more attention to the videocamera, off to the side ). So, I drank a few sips out of the shared bottle, and then we played in the "roda" (circle). I thought that we did a TREMENDOUS job, playing! We seemed more graceful and energetic: I was happy I brought over the 2 guests from aikido class.

That is, until the next party at Mestre's house, wherein he yanked out the videos he took, and I saw how we all REALLY looked...

So, now I know that I'm immortalized whenever Mestre has a party, with a stumbling video of my less-than-coordinated-self, on a buzz....

Urk. Don't let this happen to you!