View Single Post
Old 05-03-2001, 06:11 AM   #4
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Cool

Hi! After reading alot of article about different "styles" of Aikido, I have come to the conclusion that the styles is nothing but different teaching methods toward the same goal, created by people training with o-sensei. They trained, learned and started teaching themselves. Since o-sensei's wanted to transmit principles through his techniques, it wasn't easy for Kisshomaru, Saito, Tohei etc. to find a way to teach themselves in order to transmit o-sensei's principles in a good way. They all individually found their own pedagogic system e.g Tohei focused on Ki development, Kisshomaru focused on fluidity (ki no nagare) and Saito focused on the relationchip between weapon techniques and body movement (riai) as well as the importance in training the basic techniques. ( I'm aware of the incomplete description, but this is the short version!) They all however have the same goal - to transmit o-sensei's principles of Aikido to their student's in the most effective way.
I fully agree with AikidoSteve, and find the Saito sensei's teching method fully satisfying. I regulary go at seminars at clubs with a more Hombu dojo style (aikikai if you will), and allways come back with new angles of approaching my training.

Jakob Blomquist