View Single Post
Old 10-19-2002, 09:04 AM   #13
G DiPierro
United_States
Quote:
Peter Goldsbury wrote:
I think you read more into the analogy than was intended. OUYOU is the application of something to a different situation.
For some reason, the characters in your post show up as jibberish, but the translation I found for ouyou (ou = apply, you = utilize) was "application, put to practical use." Are saying that this is the usage in general Japanese but not in Aikido?
Quote:
However, no teacher of mine has ever understood OUYOU WAZA to mean aikido put to practical application (in the street).
Right, I was implying that this would be a very limited definition that would not make much sense. OTOH, I thought the term could legitimately be used for the more general application of Aikido principles in the dojo and in everday life. Whether it is actually used that way is a different question.
Quote:
The present Doshu has recently published two books, with the title of 規"ヘ合気"ケ (Kihan Aikido). The first volume is entitled 基--{偏 (kihon-hen) the second is called 応用編 (ouyou-hen). The difference Doshu is making is between basic techniques and what he calls 'applied' techniques.
Not having seen the books, I have no idea which techniques would be considered basic and which would be considered applied, so it's hard to tell what is meant by this distinction here.