View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #290
jss
Netherlands
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Moral relativists will think both views are correct and, accordingly, accomodate to their restrictions as best as they can.
Or the moral relativist is a bit lazy and says that as both views are correct, there is no need to put any effort into accommodating to anyone's restrictions. With a relativist, it really can go either way (or a third way no one saw coming. ).

Quote:
Not higher or lesser, but... different. That's all. I fail to see that cause-effect relationship you expose here.
Hmmm... I may have misread you when you said:
Quote:
If they won't accept my pupils religious restrictions then they'll be invited to leave and come back when thei opened up their minds to other people's beliefs. If you keep behemently insisting in that your moral is of a higher value than mine or my students, please, don't come in.
You don't like someone claiming his moral is of a higher value than someone else's. But if you accommodate to one person's religious restrictions and these restrictions limit another person's ability to practice, aren't you, by accommodating to these restrictions, claiming in an implicit manner that these restrictions are of a higher moral value than the other person's views on practice?
To make this more specific, let's imagine the following situation. I don't want to train with women, because my religion teaches me that's the proper way to show respect to women. There is a woman at the dojo who believes that training with everyone is the way to show proper respect to fellow dojo members. It's impossible to make both happy, unless at leas one of us changes his/her beliefs. If you as a dojo head make the decision that my religious restriction about training with women should be respected, that decision implies you think my beliefs have a higher moral value than those of the woman in question.