Thread: What is "IT"?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #210
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: What is "IT"?

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
Calculating the mathematics, or understanding the theory to know when things go correct, or when things go wrong is great, but they don't aide very much while in actual practice. They are quite useful if one's goal is to understand the complex interactions of an object interacting with surrounding objects.
My goal is quite a bit simpler -- defining images and proper actions of correct physical models. Metaphorical models try to capture "feel" -- perceptive categories. That approach may, but more often, does not, adequately capture the ACTUAL mechanical action occurring. Unlike driving, flying gives one a perspective that is also operative in aikido -- counter-intuitive 3D kinesthetic perceptions that are a feature (not a bug) of the mechanics involved. The result is that a bad metaphor creates a bad image for intuition to operate on. A correct mechanical image allow proper structural intuition to function correctly.

Quote:
To give an automotive example, recognizing when I have lifted too much off the accelerator pedal causing a spin rather than enough weight transfer to rotate the car so I can make it around the corner faster. Of course if you have the instructor in the car with you, they can can tell the student driver via middle school physics, "oh, the combination of an abrupt weight shift from the rear to the front of the car, coupled with the slip angle for your particular tire, and the reduced contact patch on your outside tyres is going to make you spin right now, time to clutch in and brake hard!"
Of course not, but they help immensely in two VERY important ways --

1) They give one a categorical vocabulary to define and understand the error after it occurs and therefore narrow the corrective or misperceived input that caused it

2) They provide ways to envision how to move correctly in novel situations that one has not even encountered yet -- and then train the action in those situations

Quote:
Or you could simply say as the student is beginning to lift too much, "don't lift." The same applies when developing internal skills, when someone can recognize the sensation of when its right and when its wrong and use the sensation/feedback to develop the skill.
I agree. Don't lift - shear. The feel and feedback are great, and to be pursued -- but intuition only works if patterns of action and perception are reflective of a objective template of reality and not the trickier perception of reality.

An airplane in a slip is not turning; but if I blindfolded you, you would swear it was. In a constant rate level turn, blindfolded you would swear the aircraft is not turning; and it is. The action of what we are talking about works, among other things explicitly on extensor and flexor spinal reflexes, almost autonomic in action -- essentially causing the affected body to destabilize itself -- before it is actually structurally compromise, opening it to an unrecoverable departure from stability. The mechanism of applying it is related to the effect created. The possibilities for intuitive misperception are therefore every rich -- reinforcing the need for a correct objective model as a template for our structural intuition.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.