View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #46
DH
United_States
Re: Shiro Omiya Shihan on "Aiki"

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
sure, the nature of power is limitation. hmmm crap! have no idea why i said that, but it just popped into my head. or was it a quote somewhere. i swear that every good quote has been spoken for. but one needs to explore power to find its limitation and/or one's limitation, does it not?
The power that was discussed by Ueshiba is not the same idea of power we keep talking about. The ability to create *Power* makes aiki. It can make you exquisitely soft and ghosty...as well as be the hammer that projects or hits. They are one and the same thing although being used in a different manner. And it all goes back to a dantian or hara driven body.
Again these things were and are known. It's hard to keep pointing these things out and that most of us (me too) were operating under serious misconceptions about power in budo. We either were too strong (muscular movement) or too soft (noodle arms) or we had to evade. All of which was spoken of as wrong.
Ueshiba's quote of the tora no maki:
Ten units of force being met by 5 and 5 or 7 and 3 and the guest hand/ host hand...all have to do with aspects of the immovable body and heaven/earth/man and they are quoted in the taiji classics as one and the same.
Dan