View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States
Re: Aiki, Iki, Kokyu, Heng-Ha and Aun

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Breathing, the act of taking in air and then expelling it. That is a physical act which every person does.

Ueshiba's "iki" and "kokyu" are translated as "breath".

Chris, even in your blog, you look at it like breathing. "Still don't know how to breath"

It's not breathing. Why do you think Sagawa said breathing isn't important?

Ueshiba used spiritual terms for nearly everything. Kami, universe, bridge, Izanagi, etc. Why on Earth would we take Ueshiba literally in the midst of all his symbolic talks? Ueshiba's talk of breath isn't equivalent to breathing.

Breath Power? Anyone know how someone can generate power by exhaling? Inhaling? Doesn't that seem silly? He isn't talking about a training exercise in these talks. He's talking about a fundamental way of being by the changes from IP/aiki training.

I think we should start concentrating on just exactly how Ueshiba was manifesting in/yo, yin/yang, that it was different enough to call it something other than the symbolic terms/phrases he already used.

IMO,
Mark
Hey Mark,

From what(I think)I understand, it is possible to generate/release power through breath. It's part of some of the kata I've practiced. Breath can create kuzushi. But I think that it is of course only one part of the aiki puzzle. I bet you've even done it yourself...

As far as Sagawa goes...why would he give all of his secrets away? If he wasn't always forthcoming in his teaching, maybe the same holds true for his thoughts on breathing. IMO, it would seem that breathing is very important for body conditioning and making aiki...hence, aiki in yo ho... :0).
But I'm only an amature.

It may not be normal everyday "breathing". But there is something to it. I don't think Ueshiba would have mentioned it otherwise. Thanks.

ChrisW