View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #64
Buck
United_States
Re: Who Sez O'Sensei Was Wise!

I think many people, which I don't judge, who support myth's role in the human experience by default have to believe gods exist. I think that has to do with O'Sensei as well. The Japanese during and before his life-time where very superstitious, tied into the idea of the existence of Kama's. I am sure when science was introduced it had a big impact on the explanation of things. What if science came into being at the same time in Japan as in the west how would that have changed O'Sensei's outlook on life. That would be a good new topic.

But, um...I think even religion, and other myths and not just science discredits other myths and gods as nothing more than imagination. Here again just not science, but religion and myth leads one to question. A very important thing that is over-looked in many arguments of those who are pro-myth - I think it is unintentional. I don't know if O'Sensei really offered anything new or unique rather than making a shift in his beliefs from feudal warrior to modern civilian. I think that transition required a religious base. Much like alt of solider's who go through a similar transformation because of war. Many soldiers who are not necessarily religious become very religious at due to the experience of war. That could have happened to O'Sensei.

O'Sensei combined martial arts (which he didn't originate) with religion, and martial arts philosophy (which was an established standard)and that doesn't mean I should turn him in to an all wise sage , then a myth and then a god and not question. If you question you are genuine in learning and understanding of Aikido.

I am not out to get O'Sensei. I am sure he had personal life wisdom that came from the experience of living and training.