View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #470
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
To the best of my knowledge this is how Ueshiba practised: he stayed with a teacher until he felt he was better, or the teacher had nothing left to teach him (that was of interest to him). He really did not avoid testing, he even challenged his own students to do surprise attacks on him...
Like you said; a different level that is for sure.
Funny thing is that later in life he realised true Budo was not about competition, but he kept doing demos/test. However he did so not to compete but to show what he had to offer.
Hi Tim. As I understand it later on his demos/tests were usually under protest. In other words it was through public pressure or the organization wanting some footage for promotional purposes etc.

Another thing I find interesting is this idea that later on he was just a figurehead and didn't actually do much teaching himself. I find this amazing that people would believe this.

He trained up to the day he died. He taught up to that time as well. His whole world was his Aikido 24/7.

This factor I think people should understand a bit better before they think they are 'experts' on him.

Regards.G.