Thread: Koshinage Ukemi
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
NagaBaba

Re: Koshi Nage - Open Stance or Feet Together

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
In short, it is better to teach people how to survive the worst first.
Ellis Amdur
Sorry Ellis, I don't have too much time to write long posts. You brought much vider perspective then simple koshinage. The skills to 'survive the worst' are more sophisticated than ‘knowing how to fall'.

First prerequisite is development of perception. If one can't perceive very early when situation start to be dangerous, he has simply no time to react. This can't be developed by your method of taking ukemi.

Second prerequisite is to have physical capacity to execute reaction-- and here agile and flexible body is a must. This is also not developed by your method.

Only third prerequisite is know how to land in a safe way -- that is what you are teaching if I understand correctly.

Additionally you are introducing ‘pulling up' by nage -- this is exactly the same illusion as in standard aikikai method (meaning nage helps uke to survive) but in another physical form. Nasty nage will not pull up. I understand that you got traumatized for the rest of your life by this bad experience in Iwama dojo but I believe you are oversimplifying and approaching the problem from the wrong side.

I'm also guilty for overprotecting students. For the moment the only way I see they can develop all three prerequisites for protecting themselves is very fast, high intensity ‘any attack/any technique' practice. But for that, as I said before, proper instruction and practice for rolling and correct landing posture are necessary. As a consequence fresh beginners can't do it.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo