View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 11:16 AM   #48
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Opinions and thoughts please...

Now that I've already put one foot in my mouth, let's see if I can put the other one in.

Quote:
Jordan Steele wrote:
.... what I don't know is how can training the body to accept imbalance be a good thing if, outside of the dojo, a person attempts to throw you. I live by the fact that no matter what my skill level is, there is always someone equal or better than me. Assuming I get thrown by someone that has better technique than I do, chances are kaeshi waza is not possible and I will end up on the ground (not a good place). So why would I allow myself to accept imbalance knowing that the outcome will not be good. Wouldn't it be better to "fight" as opposed to roll with it ....
My best guess would be that as you noted, there might be someone better than you, so you may not be able to fight it. He might be bigger, might be stronger, might fight dirtier, and your attempt to fight his throw might not work. You're right, going to the ground is not a good place to be. But IMHO, it would be even worse if you smacked your head on the black top as you hit because you hadn't been training to keep that from happening.

Beyond that, it's worth noting that there are other systems out there -- jujitsu systems, Kali and silat sytems, Judo -- that teach throwing techniques, and while the throws might be different, the training format is the same -- one person throws and the other lets himself be thrown so his partner can learn how to do it. Aikido throws in the idea of "blending;" Ukemi, it seems to me, are about blending with the technique even as nage blends with uke's attack. But training in which you "accept" being thrown isn't unique to Aikido.