View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #101
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: Do We Need To Invent A New Training? Yes/No/Maybe/How?

You know, guys, in the end you have to take control of your own training. What are your weaknesses? What does your aikido need to be stronger? What should you be working on? Figure out what that is, and go get it.

If you think you need to work on connection, letting go of muscle strength, and martial effectiveness, then yeah, Dan's your go-to guy. But you're not going to learn anything from a video--get on the mat with him, or one of the other guys who are doing similar work. Or look at other avenues to the same goal--Taiji, Bagua, Feldenkrais, Systema. Me, I'm a slut--I'll go with anybody who I think has something useful to offer. Why wouldn't you? Aikido's not a religion.

But the IP stuff isn't what you need, then just chill. Who cares anyway? I read the recent posts on knife defense with interest, but that's not what I'm working on right now. I don't care if my aikido doesn't work against a skilled knife attack, today. I've got other fish to fry first. So I'm not out hunting a Silat teacher.

If you're just curious, and want to see what this stuff looks like without any intention to commit, I offer you all kinds of sympathy but you know what? That's your problem, not anybody else's.