View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 12:39 AM   #24
Haole
Re: AikiDO or Aiki JUJUTSU?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
Morihei Ueshiba was eminently practical and effective - he also wrote and said things that would make tree huggers look conservative. Why do the two things have to be mutually exclusive?

Ueshiba trained some of his hardest stylists (such as Morihiro Saito and Hiroshi Isoyama) when he was in his 80's and starting out each day with a couple of hours of prayer. Yoshino Sugino's training, for that matter, was extremely martial - and that went on until he was well over 100. Just because training is martial doesn't mean that it has to be destructive to the body.

I don't know about you, but I don't carry pepper spray with me, and I don't personally know anyone who does - but my sankyo never leaves my side .

In any case, it's not really about the most effective, the most deadly fighter. I can enjoy basketball without being Michael Jordan, and I can benefit from martial training without being Sylvester Stallone. IMO, Morihei Ueshiba had a vision of Aikido as a form of misogi through budo shugyo, using the stress of training in budo to produce the intensity that encourages spiritual cultivation. Now, there are other ways to produce that intensity, ones that I'm sure are equally effective. But they are just that - other ways, other methods.

Best,

Chris
Meh, we are on the same wave length