View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido in a street situation

Quote:
Ruairidh Percival wrote: View Post
hi im ruri ive never used aikido in a street fight although after a while of doing it i had fast reflexes so when a guy tried to hook me at school i blocked the punch but i froze afterwards because i didnt have the mind set to use aikido then. i (luckly) have never needed to use it since. what about you guys? just interested y'know.
Hi Ruaridh,

At school you may find yourself in trouble if you start throwing your fellow students around, even if it's in self defence

Instead, work on your ability to get yourself off the line of attack and out of reach. Then you can encourage the attacker to over-reach himself, and stumble or fall, thereby making himself look like the clown he is

If anybody says anything, you can then say (with witnessess) "I never touched him"

The same applies outside of school, where a weapon is more likely to be used. You are much safer being out of the strike zone then staying in reach and trying to block the attack.

Talk to your Sensei about it as well - he can help you to practise for these situations

Ruth