View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #34
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Kokyu development for Aiki in Aikido

Hey, thanks guys...we've got a good set of folks here to discuss this.

Quote:
why not stick to the really basic stuff, like... er... kokyu-ho instead? I mean, isn't that the entire point of kokyu-ho; for kokyu development? Or am I missing the context because I wasn't at the seminar?
Well, the reasons I didn't pick kokyu nage are:

Too many damn versions of things called kokyu nage...especially the one where you just muscle the guy to the floor!

It was used in one of Mike's seminars.

I am perfectly fine with what ever waza y'all want to pick. Let's try the one handed kokyu nage form that is just the bottom hand from tenchi nage if you like. What I do want is for us to start discussing the transition from the development exercises to either a section of or a whole actual aikido waza. Waza is (in my opinion) the single worst way to **develop** these skills...but in the end, that is the finished product (in a sense) that most of us are aiming for. I don't think it hurts to start to talk about how the different exercises develop a skill, and how that skill is used in practice.

I'm totaly open to what ever direction we take as long as we discuss some frakin details...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)