View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #91
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan
Re: "IP/IT/IS" vs technique?

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
Hi Janet, Are you quoting Lula or Stephanie?

I disagree with you. He is urging me to meet people that I have expressed no interest in meeting. I train in a way where internals are part of my aikido training. I would like to be able to discuss this without repeatedly being told that I don't really understand what is going on.

I understand where I am heading and how I am training. Your input was not helpful nor does it further the discussion.
That's great that you know where you want to go and how you want to train. This internal thing is not for everyone. There are many paths up the mountain and many different ways to train. I respect you for sticking to your path. I am not saying you are wrong in your training. I have an open view about life and finding your own way.

From my perspective it seems funny that so many people are debating about this IP/IS thing. "Its not "Aiki"!!!" or "O Sensei didn't teach that!" and on the other side people are saying the opposite. In my case I wanted to find out what the big deal was and met Dan and Sam. It changed the way I want to train and view budo.

(Soft and nice tone) Also how can you and others say that you have internals and understand what the "IP" people are doing if there has been no interaction or training with them? (I apologize if it seems brash but the internet does not allow to show your tone of voice or feelings through writing) IMHO people honestly cannot debate something that is one sided without making themselves look bad in the process. You stated you have no interest in training with the IP groups. That's fine but, how can you say they are wrong and you are right without proof or first hand experience? Just by saying "I have done this for X years and trained with x shihan which mean I have and understand IP" or "I understand IP and have been doing it for years" does not equate proof of IP of the caliber of Dan Harden or Sam Chin. The people in the IP groups are not really insular and are open to training with everybody.

I am sure you are a long practicing Aikidoka with a wealth of experience and been able to work with some high ranking shihan and sensei. You have probably have your own dojo ( I am not sure). So I can understand yours and others frustration when someone comes along and tells you that you are missing aspects of the art. For me it was more curiosity than frustration that made me seek the proponents of this "new" movement. And I am happy I did as this training has changed my view about the potential Aikido has.

I would love to meet you sometime and train with you sometime as well as the others who are vocally opposed to the IP thing. Hawaii is a nice place to train all year long!

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei