View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #96
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: The Fear of Power

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
...the reason I took up the art in the first place is long in the past, and is far too personal for me to toss about here, but I can assure you it had virtually nothing to do with power. It was more about connection.
Well, as long as you know and understand why you are training. My point here is largely that people have either forgotten or have hidden from themselves the real reason they began training, that that reason was almost invariably to attain or increase their power (unless, as Tom mentions, the already have much power and want to somehow refine or tame it--which is a kind of power, as well). But if someone is claiming that power is bad, but they are unconsciously following an original motivation to gain more power, that can only result in alienation from oneself, which is opposite the purpose of aikido.

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
I do not deny my power, I work to increase my power, and I exercise my power frequently. I really like power and I am almost addicted to using it. I dont insist others cast themselves from my mold. We dont all take aikido for the same reasons, we dont all enjoy aikido in the same way, and I have plenty of room for that. I suppose that comes of having a really big mat.
It's good that you recognize and acknowledge this very natural human drive. For too many people, aikido's big mat is like a giant pillow top mattress, more suited to sleep than to work. To find someone who seriously seeks the power of aikido frightens them and disturbs their pleasant dreams. It's nice to find that some people are awake on the mat.

Best wishes.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com