View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
aiki-jujutsuka

dvd recommendations

As you know I currently practice Dentokan Aiki-Jujutsu but intend cross-training, or making the transition completely to Aikido in the future. As an AJJ practitioner I am familiar with some of the root techniques that Aikido and AJJ share in common such as those shown below.

Dentokan & Hakko-Ryu//Aikido

Shodan//Ikkyo
Nidan//Nikkyo
Sandan//Sankyo
Yondan//Yonkyo

I understand that the Aikido techniques do differ from those in AJJ but they are essentially variations of the same techniques. I know I will need to adjust to the differences but I do not foresee this being a major problem and believe I can adapt fairly well. However there are other Aikido techniques that I am not familiar with or have not had personal experience of in training such as stances, hand/foot positions, bokken and jo exercises, randori etc.

As an aid to my eventual practice of Aikido I was wondering if people could recommend some good Aikido dvds that cover the basics. There are a wide range of Aikido dvds on budovideos.com, which I have bought from before but I really don't know which ones are worthy of my money or not and so would appreciate a little help. (suggestions don't necessarily have to come from the range found on budovideos.com). From what my instructors have told me Aikido uses larger spheres of motion than AJJ (we're always taught to keep our movements small) so some explanation on the dynamics of Aikido's circular movements would also be much appreciated.

Last edited by aiki-jujutsuka : 03-04-2013 at 03:45 PM.