View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Taj Mikel
Dojo: Aikido Institute of New Mexico
United_States
Re: Aikido and Driving a Vehicle

Quote:
Maarten De Queecker wrote: View Post
Those are just called human reflexes. I had such experiences long before I began training aikido.

Why do people tend to see aikido in everything they do? It's not because someone does ballet that he suddenly uses ballet in his or her driving style. Aikido is a martial art, not some kind of super power that makes your body do super stuff it otherwise wouldn't.

I've been doing aikido for two years now. Do I apply aikido in my driving style? No.
Haha, I definitely would not try to pull off Aikido while in my car driving. I get your point, but I think you may have missed mine

Firstly, I don't believe anything will give people "super powers", that's near lunacy. Now, can Aikido training (or any other martial art for that matter) assist in collecting and calming the mind and body? Dude, obviously. Now, can that translate and carry over to an experience one has in a moving vehicle? Again, dude obviously.

An example might be meditation, in which one's experiences WHILE meditating carry over and permeate the practitioner's life. The same goes for intense martial arts training. Yes, that mind set will carry over to other aspects of the practitioner's life.

You ask why we might tend to see Aikido in all that we do? Well, my answer is that some people might, but I don't. What I see are the principles guiding Aiki and Aikido, present in places other than the dojo. This is how O'Sensei saw the world, and while people's views of him may differ he is the founder of the art, and so I see no reason why applying and noticing Aiki principles in events beyond the dojo would be in any way a problem. I don't do Akido in my car, I just noticed that principles are similar in some instances, such as turning my steering wheel. My physical hand's form takes on that of a complete 360 degree movement, reminding me of Ikkyo. Blending occurs EVERYWHERE, to notice it while driving is not applying Aikido in the car, it's simply noticing that Aiki principles are present there.

If we consider it, Aiki came BEFORE Aikido. The principles were there long before O'Sensei canonized them into "an art form". So to find these principles outside the dojo, is simply to make the same observations O'Sensei (and countless others have) before us.

It would seem to me that someone who believes their art, especially Aikido, to be a mere way to "kick people's asses, but softly" is more suited to the study of a hard art? But perhaps you were in a bad mood.

Aiki is blending. To take the concepts and apply them to all of one's life (while not everyone's choice and that's ok) is the highest form of blending. It requires that the individual blend him/herself with his/her surroundings, and blend his thoughts with those surroundings, as well.

Point being, there's nothing wrong with analytical thought, even if it's noticing abstract similarities between given thing A and given thing B.

Have a good one! Sorry if have offended

-Ty A. Knight